In the past 10 years Impact Hub has grown from 1 to 70+ Impact Hubs, adding 15 new locations in the last 12 months alone. We are looking for a Global Events Manager to join our global team to further develop and manage the global events portfolio consisting of a landmark yearly global event – Unlikely Allies – and several regional and thematic events. The purpose of this role is to create groundbreaking, accessible convening’s and experiences relevant to our mission for Impact Hubs (staff, members, partners) and the larger impact ecosystem. This position is open to applicants based in Europe or the US.
ABOUT IMPACT HUB
Everyone has ideas for making the world a better place – Impact Hub is a place to make them happen. With 73 open Impact Hubs, more than 11,000 members around the world and a combined global team of over 500 makers, we have created a collaborative eco-system that inspires, connects and enables people across the world to sustainably impact society.
From Amsterdam to Johannesburg, Singapore to San Francisco – we provide access to spaces, resources and connections, knowledge, talent and investments to turn ideas into action and move from intent to impact. Started in 2005 with just a single Impact Hub, we have now become a tightly connected network spanning the globe.
From creating the conditions to start-up social businesses, to enabling successful social entrepreneurs to scale their activities locally and internationally, Impact Hubs are increasingly becoming the focal points of action for the global social enterprise community – and their launchpad to scale.
Impact Hub is about people who see and do things differently.
We invite you to join us!
To connect this vibrant and expanding community, we are growing our global events portfolio and are now looking for an exceptional individual to join our team as Global Events Manager. The Impact Hub Network has always held multiple internal events each year that support the learning, collaboration, best-practice sharing, and strategic development of our network. In 2015, we created Unlikely Allies, our first 5 day event open to not only Impact Hub teams but also to our strategic partners, members and wider impact ecosystem thought leaders. The event focused on how we can nurture the development of the global impact ecosystem and fuel innovation and scale through collaborative efforts.
As we move into 2016, Unlikely Allies will also be joined by a series of regional and thematic gatherings (2-3 per year) which will be added to the global events portfolio. Together, this expanded portfolio will create a year-round events cycle that enriches our global strategic development and cares for critical thought leadership, community building, training & development and business collaborations. Each event will be hosted in diverse global locations and will serve participants from across the Impact Hub network and our partner group (i.e. Unlikely Allies reaches 250+ participants from 70+ cities and can include further public or open events that engage 1,000+ participants; regional & thematic events usually reach 50-150 participants).
As the Global Events Manager you will be responsible for overseeing the business development (product development & sales), management and delivery of this new global events portfolio in collaboration with diverse Impact Hub teams around the world. Furthermore, the successful candidate will be responsible for effectively, consistently, and seamlessly delivering innovative events that optimize the events budget and maximize the talent, time, and collaboration potential that fuels the development of our network.
This is an exciting opportunity to become part of a creative and experienced global events team – with a purpose! This role will work primarily with the Global Partnerships Manager and a three-person core events team including the Creative Manager, Event Production Manager (hired locally) and Global Communications Lead as well as larger support teams built per specific event requirements. Specifically, giving the large planning focus of this role, the this role will have support from local a Project Manager for each event. Finally, the Global Events Manager will be part of the larger global team and will report directly to the Managing Director.
- Develop a strategic events portfolio for all global Impact Hub events – includes market research, business development planning in collaboration with Partnerships Lead (product design/development, sales targets & strategy), and brand building in collaboration with Communications Lead.
- Event sales and portfolio management – includes managing and executing events sales activities (tickets, sponsorship, service) based on agreed upon targets in coordination with the Global Partnerships Lead and local & global sales teams
- Serve as main contact with institutional and corporate clients to ensure that all are fully informed and given the highest level of service
- Lead the development of international strategic funding partners – from pipeline building to leads generation and conversion, following up with appropriate materials, communications etc. and support with securing relevant content delivery partners
- Manage the delivery of our global events portfolio and oversee its effective delivery – includes budget outline, oversight & reporting, site selection approval, online registration systems selection, all promotional materials and outlets sign off, program development oversight, and support the Production Manager in key decisions regarding guest services, technical requirements, transportation, accommodation, banqueting, attendee communications, activities, theming/decoration, entertainment merchandise, technical, and sourcing, negotiating and managing all contracts and vendors
- Create and manage a project plan for the yearly events cycle with support from local project managers – includes producing detailed proposals for events (e.g. timelines, venues, suppliers, legal obligations, staffing and budgets), and maintaining and managing the project work-ﬂow and project plan ensuring that deadlines are met well in time
- Team management and resourcing – includes organizing regular team meetings, coordinating staffing requirements and staff briefings, outlining resourcing needs for agenda delivery in collaboration with the Creative Manager and Production Manager and supporting the recruitment of key team members where required (i.e. facilitators, speakers, entertainment, freelance technicians, communications professionals, designers, exhibition installers and event production staff)
- Work with the Creative Manager, Impact Hub Global Team and Board to determine strategic invitees, generate invitee lists, provide supportive communication for outreach and manage status reporting as required
- Work with Global Communications Lead and Creative Manager to outline a consistent brand strategy and communication plan – specifically, overseeing the production of event/conference collateral, websites, social media campaigns and any other marketing material
Work closely with the Creative Manager to provide oversight on all program confirmations to ensure that all program development is aligned with overall strategic and budgetary guidelines
- Liaise regularly with the Global Communications Lead and Creative Manager, ensuring successful event promotion and appropriate information about the program and its impact is adequately communicated
- Work closely with the Global Gathering Steward and Creative Manager to build an impact assessment framework and system to track the direct and indirect outcomes of the individual events and overall portfolio
- Manage the collection of relevant data and provide regular reporting, monitoring and updates internally and externally including event surveys, attendees and stakeholder feedback, suggestions for following year, and compilation of final reports for stakeholders
WHY DO IT
- To work at the forefront of the development of the Impact Hub network
- To gain experience working and managing large-scale processes with cultures from around the world to produce inspiring events
- To pilot and build a pioneering event series that supports positive social impact around the globe and pioneers the future of convening
- To design and significantly shape an essential dimension of building networked organizations
- To forge strategic partnerships with global players in the impact economy sector (old and new) and get exposure to the sector’s top thinking and doing
- To work in a highly entrepreneurial, dynamic and flexible global environment with lots of room for autonomy and self-expression
- To get the chance to work alongside highly committed pioneers in building a global movement for impact and innovation
- To be part of a steadily growing network of 500+ makers and 11,000+ members of Impact Hub around the world
ARE WE A MATCH?
- You have a strong understanding of event strategy, operations, and integrated event marketing for events between 500-1000 people
- You are experienced and have proven ability in event sales and portfolio development
- You have exceptional budget management, negotiation and organizational skills; track record of effectively managing large scale event budgets and working with dynamic cash-flow scenarios
- You are a superior communicator with the ability to work across all levels in an organization and with external event agencies
- You possess strong leadership skills with a proven track record managing “virtual” teams to deliver effective, integrated event results
- You are passionate about and immersed into relevant topics, developments and conversations in the field of social enterprise and innovation
- You are well connected with potential partners, allies and participants relevant to the Impact Hub agenda
- You have excellent user skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and have delivered project with one of the widely used project management tools
- You are flexible and willing to travel and work some long hours (sometimes evenings, weekends) and travel when required
- You are comfortable interacting with several stakeholders and able to work collaboratively within international, multidisciplinary and distributed teams
- You are able to project plan and produce management information in a variety of formats and are experienced in report writing and presentations to key stakeholders
- You are knowledgeable in KPI measurement and evaluation, and able to demonstrate focus on and management for key outcomes
- You are open-minded, self-reliant, and excited about being part of a diverse, fast-paced, international environment
- You are able to demonstrate key components of the Impact Hub approach: entrepreneurship, collaboration, innovation and exceptional execution ability
- Role: Full-Time
- Position: Global Events Manager
- Team Engagement: Member of dedicated global team, coordination with local Impact Hubs and global sales team, support from local city-based project managers
- Reporting: Reporting to Impact Hub Managing Director
- Location: Europe, US
- Remuneration (independent contractor): compensation commensurate with experience. VAT registration required
- Contract: Initial contract until 31 December 2016 with 3 months’ probation period, extension possibility pending program outcomes and individual performance.
- Starting date: ASAP
- Please submit your application here (https://podio.com/webforms/5528752/433944) by October 15, 2015 (midnight CET), including the following documents:
CV or Resume
Examples or portfolio of previous event experience – show us what you’ve got!
Cover letter outlining why you and Impact Hub are made for each other and what you could bring to the network as Global Events Manager
A Recommendation letter from a professional contact
- Upon initial screening, additional interviews may be conducted. The final decision will then be communicated by latest November 4, 2015.
- Preferred starting date for the position: ASAP
- In case of any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Global Events Manager”.